Monday, November 19, 2007

Journal Of A Plauge Year

I had a pretty good evening on Saturday.

I have been feeling right on the edge of sick lately, and I am lame, so I decided to take it easy for the evening. I needed some exercise, though, to ensure good sleep, so I took a walk.

The weather was terrible, 35 degrees, rain, a steady 35-40 mph wind out of the east, coming off the lake. I bundled up in underarmour and my waterproof shell and walked out to the lakefill.

NU Primer: A few decades back, Northwestern decided to fill in a few acres of Lake Michigan and create an artificial little peninsula. Now it is like a very nice little park right on the lake, called the lakefill.

I was the only person in the whole lakefill. I walked down to the shore and watched the big breakers roll in and smash themselves against the rocks. The wind rocked me back on my heels. The sky was huge and dark and reached out to the distant horizon. I really like having the lake nearby.

Anyways, on my walk home I stopped into a classroom hall to warm up. I noticed a perfectly good-looking chair sitting in the hallway with a little sign taped to it that read "Please Dispose." The chair appeared to be nicer than my standard issue dorm chair, so I followed the note's request and lugged the seat back to my room.

I like my new chair. It is comfortable and has armrests. It is like a chair one would find in a hotel room. The arms and legs are a little loose, but I have temporarily solved that problem with superglue and duct tape. One day I will probably sit in it and it will collapse beneath me, but the I will get a good laugh out of it and go back to my old chair.

Primary (New) Chair


Auxiliary (Old) Chair


4 comments:

hannah said...

One time Kali, Allie and I walked to that Burger King in our pajamas and the guy behind the counter called us fuckin' Minnesota bitches or something awesome. Something having to do with our pajamas, our being from Minnesota, and our drunkenness.

Regardless, I wish Concordia had been built upon a lake and not by a river that floods every spring.

Josh said...

max- remember that awful essay that i made you revise? got it back today

"A-.

The assignment directed you to critique the article. Nevertheless I found your meditations on class- specifically of the sort of "passions" illustrated in Merry interesting if not entirely convincing."

that essay was such a pile of shit. i almost didn't hand it in because i was so embarrassed by it but then i remembered my academic luck. i'm HOT

constant_k said...

Goddamnit josh why am I at a school where shit gets recognized as such

Jason said...

dorm chairs really suck. the best birthday gift i ever got was the sweet executive leather chair my parents got me last year.